Friday, May 14, 2010

Birth control is it generally good or bad for your body? Do I have other options?

I have had a very irregular period since about last year I finally got my period after 3 months of not having it....and before that I didnt get it untill 6 MONTHS! I am not sexually active but i wanted to go on birth control to regulate my period. My mom thinks its a horrible idea and it can only damage my bodies ';System';. I understand what she means but I dont want to worry about my period soooo much and have all the horrible symptoms when it does happen. I started drinking soy milk and it has helped me get my period sooner. %26lt;---strange i know....but should i get on the pill or is it bad for me?Birth control is it generally good or bad for your body? Do I have other options?
You don't give your age, which medically would be the deciding factor in any medical answer I would give. If you are young and have not yet established a regular menstrual cycle I would advice against using the pill. it might well stop your normal ovulation cycle from being established. This might well make it difficult for ovulation to establish properly in the future, when you might wish to get pregnant.





It is also important to make sure that your extreme irregularity is not due to PCOS, in which case it might be very appropriate for you to be on the pill. I suggest you go and see your GP to establish just what is happening.Birth control is it generally good or bad for your body? Do I have other options?
Use the back door U.T.B.N.B.
your other options:


condoms


the ';ring';


the calendar


the patch


abstinence


masturbation


toys


become lesbian.....





or the Pills!
If we are messing round with the human body feeding it hormones that it wouldn't normally get then I believe it harms the body. I never wanted my wife to take it because it causes blood clots amongst other things. She never took it-but she had a choice. We had two healthy children eventually.
I personally don't like being on birth control, but I'm also on it for a different reason - its treatment for endometriosis.





At any rate, the pill has been safely used for generations of women with little or no side effects. It will do nothing to mess up your 'system' - however you may have to try a few different ones before you find one that works for you. They all have different hormones in varying levels. Some typical side effects can be heightened emotions, tender breasts, breakthrough bleeding, headache, and weight gain. But like I said, different ones will work better for YOU than others.





I would hope that your mother would honor the doctors recommendations. Good luck!
Towards the beginning of my period it was so irregular, but I found after time it got better, so perhaps you should consider waiting a while before deciding to take the pill. I know that many people at such a young age may get irregular period.





If you get unbearable pain like I used to, there are other ways such as pain relief tablets - I use nurofen it's the best. I used to get HORRIBLE pains, i still do but now I don't feel paralysed lol, the pains were unbearable before, but I find that I can manage my pain better now. Just let some time pass by before you make a decision about the pill.





My doctor told me to take the pill but I've heard of many side effects when using the pill which I would rather not risk.





Don't worry about a thing at the moment until you are older. If they are still irregular then, then you should ask for help on this subject.
Hi Sweetie,


Yes, u do have other sources to use, like the I.U.D., ubstaining, relying on the condomn. However, I feel these all over-rated %26amp; harmfull in different ways, when the Pill is 99.9% effective in building r interior body %26amp; keeping r period in line, ';so to speak.'; The difference, r hormone level will increase (bigger chest), r'll be able to rely on


a date-date period, if happen's u do become pregant, u'll have the right to do what's good 4 u. ';VERY RARE'; My younger sister %26amp; niece had to do the same thing to regulate their period's %26amp; from my prospective, I think u r making a wise choose, should this be r decision The Pill, a very realist, safe, %26amp; wise One!!!


I Wish U All the Best,


P.S. I drink Soy Milk everyday, Plse eat more for r greens eg. spinish, green peas, beans, anything green, %26amp; Liver is good for r


blood stream. (hate it put lots o' ketchup) the more U eat Right, the less u have to worry. U r what u eat! Check Library, full of knowledge on Eating Well instead o' vitamen's, but r body needs essential foods 4 a candidate like u, needed Iron, cause of blood loss! I have Endometriosis which is the worst, %26amp; pray u'll never end up with it!!!


LOL, Diana D
i heard many things about the irregularity of period but, the only option that has been given to rearrange the period until now is this contraceptive pills. remember, it damages your health as your mom told u specially for girls who dosen't give birth still now because it affects the reproductive system.
I was put on the pill for the very same reason that you were, and have been on for about 7 years with no adverse side effects.





With that being said, now that they are coming out with pills that enable you to have quarterly periods, or none at all, some doctors are taking the standpoint that monthly periods are no longer necessary at such a young age, because obviously, the function of a period is to enable someone to get pregnant. Now that we are waiting much later in life to have children, it is no longer necessary.





I think you should consider your age in your decision. When you are young, your period is often irregular and will regulate itself in time. I chose to go on the pill when I was 13, and made the decision to stay on the pill when I was older even though my period could have regulated itself because I knew I would be sexually active, and welcome that extra protection.





It is really a personal decision. I would talk to your mother and your doctor and make a decision that is best for you, rather than based on information given to you online.
I think it's a good idea. I had the same problem. (not quite as bad as yours but my period was slightly irregular) and when I did get it, it was very painful and I would often be forced to stay home from school/work. When I told my doctor about this, she actually suggested the pill. Now I am on the pill and it has made my periods regular, shorter, and much less painful. I haven't experienced any ';damage'; to my ';system';.





I hope that helped. And I recommend seeing your gynecologist before you get on the pill, just as a precaution.
It sounds to me like you may have a touch of PCOS. I do, and had that same problem all throughout my teen years (I would go five to eight months without a period -- regularly). They put me on the Pill at 18 to regulate my periods without checking me for PCOS. One year later, I almost had a stroke because of my blood pressure. I was only 19.








Hypertension is a symptom of PCOS and a side-effect of the Pill. Make sure your doctor rules everything out before deciding to put you on the pill. It can have some dangerous effects if you really do have PCOS.
Seeing as you are about 13 or so (I'm guessing I got my first period at 12) you will be irregular for a time. Until your body balances out. I'd almost say wait.





I started BC when I was 17. I used to have unnaturally long periods and cramps that made me not want to move from bed.





I started on Ortho Trycyclen. Cramps went away, periods were predictable to almost the hour and they ended up being only 3 days! Other benefits were my breakouts I'd get before my period lessened, other cramps went away and I didn't get the water bloat.





Though be careful. Some don't react as well with it. Go to your doctor to get a sample. Try it for a couple months. I say be careful because I have a friend who gets very unstable if she uses certain types of BC.... Though that reaction is rare, it is possible. The pill will force your body to regulate, though if you do become active do use condoms and NEVER forget your pill!
Birth Control is generally bad for you. It's causes alot of prblems, depends on what you are taking too. The Depo shot is probably the worst, but they are all pretty unhealthy. Blood clots, strokes, heart attacks, cancer (breast, cervical, etc.) infertility, weight gain, etc. I was on the shot for 7 years (really screwed me up) and all of my friends have been on some form of birth control since puberty and they feel ok while they are still on it but they are generally pretty messed up after. It might regulate your periods, it might not, but it will also stop your body form having any chance of correcting itself naturally over time. Just do some research. I personally use NFP now. I don't have to put any hormones into my body and I know I will still be able to have children some day.





Seriously, just do some research before you decide to put some drug into your body everyday for years and years.
I had excactly the same problem as you my love!!! wen i wasnt sexual active i didnt worry bout it but when i got with my boyfriend i went on the pill - end result.?? depression and multiple blood clot on the lung... Obviously this is not the case for every one!





I've heard that the coil is quite good.





I think your mum is right, it the hormones in the pill that mess around with your ';systems';. so try and find a non hormonal one.


go to your GP or local family planning clinic and just chat to them about what you want etc.


Hope this helps!


Good Luck
In long periods of taking birthcontrol





it will stop your period
my sister was prescribed the combined pill to regulate her period, but it is best for you to go to your G.P and explain your situation. Your G.P will be able to run tests and prescribe what is best for you. Good luck :-)
it has just been proven that the pill can protect a woman against ovarian cancer for at least 20 years after she stops taking it.





when the pill first came out years ago, the hormone levels were really strong and unsafe but after years of trial and testing they have made it perfect now and it is at a safe level.





dont listen to your mum. go and get the pill. it is not going to do anything bad to you and in your case it will be great cause it probably will help make your period regular.





it is safe as now days compared to when your mum was your age. i wouldnt worry. ive been taking the pill for 10 years and im fine.
Go see a holistic doctor in your area, you might find a natural way to help you, but birthcontrol will help, make an appointment with you doctor to discuss your options, he'll most likly say birth control, but there are good points to it studies have been finding that birth control helps prevent some forms of cancer, it reduces cramps, and helps with acne, you might gain a few pounds, but if they put you on the right type, you should only gain like 3 to 5 pounds, wich you can exercise off easily.


Good luck
  • blushed
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment